Thursday, June 3, 2010

A Crazy Night...

I received a call a little after 9 p.m. last night, from my oldest daughter, Tabby. She was crying and asked me to come get her. Apparently she had slipped and fallen at work hitting head first on the tile floor. My grandchildren were already tucked in bed sleeping soundly, so I got them up (big t-shirts and all) and put them in the car so we could go get their Mom.

When I arrived she was standing with her new guy friend who had also just arrived, she was still crying. I noticed that her elbow and hand were both bleeding. I got her in the car - she was very dizzy. My youngest daughter, Arrie met us at the hospital and took the kiddo's to her house.

Once inside Tabby started shaking uncontrollably and she was seen right away. The Dr. ordered a cat scan and put a neck brace on her. Once the scan was done, she was brought back to the room, all of a sudden there was an announcement over the hospital speaker saying "code gray" (that didn't sound like a good thing). The nurse came and shut our door. Arrie called and asked about her sister... and then calmly mentioned that we were under a tornado warning (ooo...I bet I know what "code gray" stands for). The hospital's computer system went down.

The storm skirted around Carthage, but the hospital computer system was down for over four hours. Tabby's new friend and I decided to quickly return to the restaurant she was working at and bring her car home (it was only about 5 min away). This young man really seemed to care for my Tabby. I watched him hold her hand and calm her nerves. It was nice to see. 

On our drive we didn't talk much, honestly I was somewhat nervous, I just wanted to hurry and get back to the hospital. It was about 1:30 a.m. (It is here that I should mention that I don't see very well at night...). While driving I noticed something white in the road, it didn't move, that is until I got right on top of it. It was a possum. I hit it going about 40 mph (although I'm not crazy about possum's it saddened me to have hit it). We picked up Tabby's car, returned it to her house and started back to the hospital. Apparently I had probably given the possum a concussion because it was not in the road on our drive back (Wow resilient!).

As we pulled up, I received a text message from Tabby. All was good with the scan, no stitches needed in her elbow and she could go home. She hugged her new friend goodnight at my car, I got her home, picked up my grandchildren and had us all in bed by 2 a.m. It truly was a crazy night.


  1. crazy nights are what keeps us going tho aren't they?! I'm glad your girl is ok :-)

  2. whoa! what a night you had, glad everythings ok though.
    Thanks for visiting my blog

  3. so glad your daughter was not badly hurt....have a great rest of the weekend!

    enjoy *~*

  4. yeah, then he dumped her.